Primary maternity care providers
COURSE DESCRIPTIONThis course was designed to provide training in a Canadian context for entry-level skills for point of care ultrasound for primary maternity care. The course will review the physics of ultrasound, anatomy and physiology of the normal gravid pelvis and will emphasize the sonographic technique, normal appearances, and ethical and professional responsibilities.
The core content areas addressed will include:
1. Physics of Ultrasound
2. First Trimester
A. Confirming intrauterine pregnancy
B. Establishing a reliable EDD
C. Confirming viability of early pregnancies
D. Confirming singleton pregnancy
3. Second & Third Trimester
A. Confirming viability
B. Confirming fetal presentation
C. Recognition of normal placental location
D. Conducting a biophysical profile
HANDS ON WORKSHOP:
The two-day workshop will see participants rotate through stations providing them the opportunity to observe and scan simulated obstetrical patients in a fully equipped sonography lab setting, Mohawk College’s dedicated Point of Care lab. Participants will also be introduced to Medaphor Scan Trainer, a simulator populated with actual case studies/scans. With the aid of the simulator haptic device participants can enhance their hand eye coordination and scan skill set.
The workshop will be taught by registered sonographers, Mohawk College Faculty, Midwives and Obstetricians.
WEEKEND AT A GLANCE:
REGISTRANTS MUST HAVE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED THE ON LINE COMPONENT OF THE COURSE PRIOR TO ATTENDING THE WEEKEND HANDS ON SESSION
• Each morning will begin with a brief introductory lecture outlining the approaches for scanning.
• Each day will include hands on time in Mohawk-McMaster’ state of the art lab
• Hands on “knobology” and basic image orientation
• Suggested scanning user guides for T1 and T2/3 for practitioners
• Supported by Registered sonographers, Mohawk College Faculty and current Mohawk-McMaster Medical Radiation Sciences students.
• Rotation through one of 4 Medaphor Scan trainer simulators under the supervision of Mohawk-McMaster Medical Radiation Science students
• Participants will have access to the Scan Trainer Cloud, populated with case studies for online review
• At the end of each of the two days participants will complete a skills assessment to evaluate their competency related to each user guides as outlined.
• Lunch and coffee break will be provided