Download the McMaster Day in Sleep Medicine 2021 Brochure
Sign-up for email updates
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED!
09:00 – 09:20
Pharmacological Management of Insomnia
Click here to Evaluate Dr. Raymond Gottschalk
09:20 – 09:40
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Insomnia
Click here Evaluate Dr. Sheryl Green
09:40 – 10:00
Sleep in the Elderly
Click here to Evaluate Dr. Micheline Gagnon
10:40 – 11:00
Click here to Evaluate Dr. Kristina Watt
11:00 – 11:20
Restless Legs Syndrome
Click here to Evaluate Dr. Carin Dove
12:40 – 13:00
Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Diagnosis
Click here to Evaluate Dr. Juliana Li
13:00 – 13:20
Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Pathophysiology & Complications
Click here to Evaluate Dr. Taryn Simms
13:20 – 13:40
Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Treatment
Click here to Evaluate Dr. Madhu Chari
14:20 – 14:40
Supporting Patients on CPAP
Click here to Evaluate Dr. Jamil Ladha
14:40 – 15:00
Pediatric Pearls in Sleep Medicine
Click here to Evaluate Dr. Kevan Mehta
Family Physicians, Nurse Practitioners, Psychiatrists, Internists, Neurologists, Residents, Medical Students, and Other Health Professionals.
At the end of this learning activity the learners will be able to:
- Identify adult and pediatric patients that should be referred for a sleep study for the diagnosis and management of obstructive sleep apnea.
- Describe the pathophysiology, complications and treatments of obstructive sleep apnea.
- Develop knowledge of clinical and practical pearls in supporting patients on CPAP therapy and identify when re-evaluation in the sleep clinic is indicated.
- Describe evidence-based management of insomnia including the principles of cognitive behavioural therapy for insomnia (CBT-I) and know how to access self-directed, group and private CBT-I patient resources.
- Develop confidence in de-prescribing insomnia medications and managing sleep issues in geriatric patients.
- Differentiate restless legs syndrome (RLS) from mimics, describe treatment approaches, and prevent augmentation.
The rationale of the McMaster Day in Sleep Medicine is to provide an educational opportunity for primary care providers and non-sleep specialists to enhance their knowledge and comfort in the screening, diagnosis and management of sleep disorders to ensure optimal patient care. This activity will provide a practical overview of commonly encountered sleep disorders (obstructive sleep apnea, insomnia, restless legs syndrome, pediatric issues) with an evidence-based, practical style including clinical pearls and helpful resources.
*HST# 11903 5988 RT0001
Physicians: $125.00 +HST
Allied Health Professionals / Residents / Students: $75.00 +HST
The Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Office is fully accredited by the Committee on Accreditation of Continuing Medical Education (CACME) to provide CFPC Mainpro+ and RCPSC Maintenance of Certification (MOC) study credits for Continuing Medical Education.
This one-credit-per-hour Group Learning program meets the certification criteria of the College of Family Physicians of Canada and has been certified by the McMaster University Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Office for up to 4.75 Mainpro+ credits.
This activity is an Accredited Group Learning Activity (Section 1) as defined by the Maintenance of Certification program of The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and approved by the McMaster University, Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Office for up to 4.75 MOC Section 1 hours.
Through an agreement between the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and the American Medical Association, physicians may convert Royal College MOC credits to AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Information on the process to convert Royal College MOC credit to AMA credit can be found at www.ama-assn.org/go/internationalcme.
Each attendee should only claim the hours they attended.