All 2022 Summer Dates Available:
1. Tues Apr 5 and Wed Apr 6
2. Wed Apr 13 and Thurs Apr 14
3. Wed Apr 20 and Thurs Apr 21
4. Wed Apr 27 and Thurs Apr 28
5. Tues May 17 and Wed May 18
6. Wed May 25 and Thurs May 26
7. Wed Jun 1 and Thurs Jun 2
8. Tues Jun 7 and Wed Jun 8
9. Wed Jun 15 and Thurs Jun 16
10. Wed Jun 22 and Thurs Jun 23
11. Wed Jul 27 and Thurs Jul 28
12. Wed Aug 17 and Thurs Aug 18
This is a clinical practicum for learning intrauterine contraceptive device (IUCD) insertion. Foundational knowledge and understanding for this placement is provided in the pre-requisite, continuing education course Contraceptive Care Part I: Continuing Education for Healthcare Providers. Participants must have successfully completed a pre-requisite course before participating in the clinical component.
This second component – Part II (taken at an additional cost) - has two (2) elements:
- Asynchronous learning on Avenue to Learn focused on application of content learned in the pre-requisite course.
- 2 days of mentorship and supervision in the clinical setting.
You will receive one-to-one model-based demonstration with discussion, you will observe and participate in the procedure with step-by-step instruction by a preceptor and finally you will successfully participate in a minimum of 5 independent IUCD insertions with clients. A certificate of completion will be issued following successful demonstration of clinical competency.
Participants will gain knowledge and skills necessary for the placement of intrauterine contraceptive devices. Upon completion of the course, the learner will:
- Understand considerations for counselling for IUCD
- Understand elements of patient history impacting contraceptive device selection
- Understand elements of patient education related to sexual health
- Recognize essential elements of physical examination for IUCD placement
- Demonstrate comprehensive counselling for IUCD placement
- Demonstrate components of a medical history impacting contraceptive device selection
- Demonstrate STI and sexual health education
- Demonstrate appropriate STI screening and treatment
- Demonstrate proper IUCD placement
- Demonstrate understanding of appropriate follow up for routine and urgent care following IUCD placement
Target Audience: Midwives, Family Physicians, Residents, Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants. Participants are required to be registered in good standing with their regulatory body during the practicum component of the course.
Registration Fee: $800
Pre-requisite: Successful completion of Contraceptive Care Part 1: Continuing Education Course for Healthcare Providers. Other pre-requisite courses may be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org